Malaysia Baptist Theological Seminary's goal is to train leaders in all areas of ministry and service unto God. Therefore MBTS has developed a systematic counseling program that will enable further training at the Certificate or Bachelor's level. This program is designed to meet the needs of working adults who want to upgrade their skills and knowledge that can benefit them in helping ministries.
Program Requirements: To graduate with a Diploma in Christian Counseling the student must complete 24 credits with an acceptable GPA. The credits consist of three major areas - Counseling Skills, Marriage and Family, and Individual Issues. The skill-based portion of the program consists of 8 courses, which result in 9 credits, as Guided Experience is a two-credit course for Diploma in CC (a one-credit course for Certificate in CC). The other two areas, Marriage and Family and Individual Issues are knowledge-based courses and are electives. The student is free to choose which courses are more important to their perceived counseling situations.
Most of the skilled courses do not have prerequisites, with the exception of A Structural Model for Counseling, Advanced Skills, and Guided Experience. The student must complete all core skill courses and at least 18 credits before enrolling in Guided Experience.
To graduate with a Certificate in Christian Counseling, the student must complete 10 credits of the Skill Courses which include one-credit hour of Guided Experience (Practicum) under the supervision of an Assigned Supervisor.
Both programs aim to assist in the building-up of churches by encouraging Christians to grow in spiritual and psychological maturity for ministries.
Each course is one credit consisting of 8 lecture hours taught on a Saturday. Nine courses will be taught each year at MBTS and the Kuala Lumpur Extension. Therefore, the diploma program could be completed within two and a half years. The course instruction will consist of lectures, reading, and written assignments at a Bachelor's level.
|Diploma in Christian Counseling||24 credits total|
|Skill Courses||7 credits|
|Guided Experience||2 credits|
|Certificate in Christian Counseling||10 credits total|
|Skill Courses||8 credits|
|Guided Experience||1 credit|
|Certificate of Marriage And Family Studies||10 credits total|
|Marriage & Family Courses||10 credits|
- Completed Form 5
- Meet the general admission requirements of MBTS
- Should feel a call to the helping field and exemplify some degree of helping skills
To register for any of the three programs please request an application from the Academic Office by email or by post. You can also download it at www.mbts.org.my.
|Application Fee||RM 100|
|Each Course||RM 80 (PG)|
|RM 90 (KL)|
|RM 90 (Malacca)|
|Books, materials, etc are not included.|
* The Christian Lay Counselor
* Basic Skills I: Listening & Attending
* Basic Skills II: Responding
* Understanding People
* A Structural Model for Counseling
* Advanced Skills in Counseling
* Self-Care for Helpers
* Guided Experience (Practicum)
Marriage and Family Courses
* Assessing Problem Marriages
* Biblical Understanding of Marriage
* Understanding Gender Differences
* Helping Couples in Conflicts
* Communication: The Foundation for Healthy Relationships
* Infidelity and Intimacy in Marriage
* Parenting Styles
* Premarital Counseling
* Growth of the Family
* Teens and Parents: Common Counseling Issues
* Anger Management
* Addictions: What it is and How to Help
* Counseling Those in Crisis
* Encouraging Godly Self-esteem
* A Biblical Response to Homosexuality
* Helping the Depressed
* Considerations of Human Development in the Counseling Process
* Counseling the Stressed
* Mental Illness: The Role of the Church and Helper in Healing
* Spiritual Warfare and Counseling
* Response to Suffering, Sin, and Evil